Tuesday 15 April 2014

SALUTE 2014 - a brief report.



Salute felt like a much bigger event in every way this year (not that it wasn’t big last year!). I thought the painting comp was tougher with more entries in general and more entrants coming over from other countries.  The judges really had their hands full with what looked like a huge number of finalist to sort in a relatively short time.

Just like last year the day seemed to go in a flash! There was loads to see and a ton of cool people to meet and chat about minis with.  Getting to meet up with fellow enthusiasts at these events is one of the best things about them!  Despite all of the opportunities I resisted the inevitable urge to spend too much money but I found it pretty frustrating. I saw so many beautiful minis that I would love to paint but I’ve got to be realistic. There’s no point buying a load of stuff I’ll never get round to painting. Having said that I did get my hands on a couple of very nice pieces from Infamy and Twisted that I'm quite excited about painting so expect more steam punk from me in the future.

To cap off what was already a very good day both Jason and Chee-Chee got first in their respective categories.


My promised write-up on Jason has been a bit delayed by preparations for Salute  but now that’s all over I‘ll be posting it as soon as I can.

7 comments:

  1. That is quite a feather in your cap! I hear Salute is one of the toughest comps around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the trophies David, well deserved from what I've seen!

    Cheers,
    CMDante

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result! very well deserved though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, David! Your work is outstanding and always has been and I look forward to seeing what next you'll paint up!
    On a side note, I was poking around an unofficial Golden Demon website and found two of your much earlier pieces: an old Eldar merc with missile launcher and a Citadel chimera, I wonder what became of those figure?
    Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my old minis are still safe and sound in my figure cabinet. I recently re photographed some of my earlier stuff for an article called 'Golden Demon
      the Early Years' in Portal issue 35.
      http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/downloads.php?do=file&id=40

      Delete
  5. Congratulations David - thoroughly well deserved I'm sure. Thanks again for sharing the projects with us.

    ReplyDelete